Anxiety is one of the most common mental illnesses around the world, but even then, a majority of people do not report it or seek treatment for it. People living with an anxiety disorder will feel anxious, nervous, and will always be on edge.
When left untreated, anxiety can lead to the path of depression and significantly affect the quality of life of the individual and their family members. Doctors and experts recommend a combination of medication and psychotherapy to help people cope and manage their anxiety. But these often have undesirable side-effects. It is the reason a growing number of people are looking for alternatives to the standard treatments.
One promising option to deal with anxiety is CBD oil. There have been various researches done on the use of cannabis plants rather than CBD oil alone. However, a few preliminary studies on the use of CBD oil for anxiety have been positive and promising. Those looking to use CBD oil for their anxiety need to read research exclusively on cannabidiol rather than studies on medical marijuana.
In this guide, you will learn everything you want to know about how to use CBD oil effectively as a cure for anxiety.
What is Anxiety?
Anxiety is sometimes a part of life and is an adaptive response that helps us cope with threats to ourselves or those close to us. These responses to threats allow us to recognize and avert them, and also motivates us to take action so that the situation can be improved. However, there are times when people are unable to manage their anxiety, and it affects their personal and professional lives. People with anxiety disorder start to live in fear, worry, and at times it can become extremely difficult to apprehend. CBD oil for anxiety has proved to be quite effective in reducing anxiety symptoms.
What is CBD?
CBD or Cannabidiol is extracted from cannabis plants and is used as oil. It is one of the many compounds of the cannabis plant. However, it is a non-psychoactive compound of the cannabis plant and does not contain addictive or intoxicating effects of other compounds like Tetrahydrocannabinol, which is also known as THC. Thus, it does not cause the sensation of getting ‘high’. Since the effect of CBD is not psychoactive and contains natural pain relief and anti-inflammatory properties, it is ideal for managing anxiety symptoms.
What are the Benefits of CBD Oil for Anxiety?
There have been multiple studies on the CBD oil benefits for anxiety. CBD oil, in the right dosage, is an excellent modulator to the endocannabinoid system that can control a wide range of functions in our body, such as the cognitive performance, memory, immune function, body temperature, pain perception, and others. CBD also helps maintain the chemical balance in the body.
Apart from these, there are many other effects of CBD oil on our bodies. CBD oil has a powerful influence on GABA, a neurotransmitter that slows us down when we are too hyper, which is the case for people with anxiety and chronic stress. Unlike other conventional treatments, CBD oil does not suppress the symptoms of anxiety but works on the root cause of the problem by regulating the production of endocrine and anandamide in our brains.
Here are the anti-anxiety effects of CBD oil.
- Serotonin Receptors– CBD oil works as a serotonin reuptake inhibitor. It blocks the absorption of serotonin by the brain cells and increases its number in the synaptic space. It allows the brain cells to transmit more signals, resulting in reduced stress, anxiety, and a better mood.
- Anandamide Production– CBD oil increases the production of the body’s natural endocannabinoids to maintain its higher concentration in the body. It also has the same effect on anandamide, major cannabinoids produced in the brain. When your brain produces less anandamide, it leads to feeling low, and the body overreacts to stress, thus triggering anxiety. CBD pushes the brain to produce more anandamide when needed and allows the person to maintain emotional stability.
- Hippocampal Neurogenesis– The Hippocampal Neurogenesis is one of the critical parts of the brain responsible for major brain functions. Those suffering from anxiety have a small hippocampus, and it influences their depressing and suicidal behavior to a great extent. CBD oil stimulates the production of new neurons in the area to help reduce depressive behavior.
Difference between CBD Oil and Hemp Oil
Often people confuse CBD oil with Hemp oil. Nevertheless, there are differences between the two. Even though both of them are extracted from the cannabis plant called Cannabis Sativa, the process of extraction for both of them is different. Hemp oil comes from the seeds of the Cannabis Sativa plant and contains a little amount of CBD in it. CBD oil is made from the leaves, flowers, and the stalks of the Cannabis Sativa plant and has less than 1% of THC in it.
Both CBD and Hemp oil have different chemical compositions and affect the body and mind in different ways. Hemp oil is used for its nutritional power and is used to treat skin disorders and the effects of menopause. However, CBD oil has a wider range of health benefits, including lowering inflammation, relief from pain, reduce anxiety, and treat insomnia. When it comes to hemp oil vs. CBD oil for anxiety, CBD oil wins because of its therapeutic properties, and low THC content.
How to Use CBD Oil for Anxiety?
CBD oil can be consumed in many different ways, depending on what you prefer, such as:
- Capsule Form– CBD capsules contain CBD oil inside it and need to be ingested orally.
- Tincture– Tincture is another oral ingestion method. It is a form of food additive and is sold in dropper bottles. You put a couple of drops under your tongue and wait for a few minutes for its effect to be experienced. It contains a higher concentration of CBD compared to other types of CBD oil products.
- Vapor– CBD oil can also be consumed in vapor form using an e-cigarette or a vape pen. CBD oil bought as a vape juice can vary in concentration.
- Topical– Here, the CBD oil is applied directly on the skin and is sold in the form of lotion or cream.
- Spray– CBD oil also comes as an oral spray. These have a much lower concentration of CBD compared to other products.
CBD oil can be natural or flavored, such as lavender, peppermint, cinnamon, vanilla, and more. The majority of CBD oil comes in bottles of different sizes. But, when it comes to using CBD oil for pain and anxiety, the concentration of CBD oil in the product is more important than the size of the bottle.
Be mindful of the following guidelines to ensure you are choosing the best CBD oil for anxiety and how to use it effectively.
- Read the label on the bottle to find out the dosage in milligrams of CBD per serving. If you are looking for a greater therapeutic effect of CBD, choose full-spectrum CBD oil instead of isolate-based, which lacks the entourage effect on the body.
- Some CBD products may contain THC in a small dosage. It is best to avoid THC products. Also, check for other supplementary herbs and organic products that might have been added to increase the stress-relieving properties. If you are not sure if these are right for you, you should reconsider your choice.
- Always start with a low dose of CBD, about 10 milligrams. It will help you judge the effect it has on your body. If there is no significant difference, you can increase the dosage to about 15 and then go up to 20. Normal dosage usually falls between 15-50 mg per serving.
- Make sure that the CBD oil you choose has undergone third-party testing to verify its credibility and quality.
Where to Buy CBD Oil?
Several local health or food stores nowadays sell high-quality and legal CBD oil, but if you are unable to find one near your place, you can purchase them online. When shopping for a CBD oil product, make sure it has COA or Certificate of Analysis as it assures that it does not contain any contaminants.
Even though CBD oil has minimal side effects compared to other anxiety medications, some of the common side effects are as follows.
- Changes in Appetite
- Changes in Mood
- Dry Mouth
The Bottom Line
Living with anxiety is stressful and challenges the overall quality of life. CBD offers a more natural solution to minimize the extreme symptoms of anxiety disorders and bring relief to those who do not want to take prescription medications. With the increasing number of research being done on the benefits of CBD oil for anxiety and other conditions, the compound is expected to play an important role in modern medicine in the future. People who are considering using CBD oil for their anxiety should consult with their doctor to ensure it is right for them. One should also check the laws about the use of cannabis products in their state.